Sunday, February 22, 2015

Week 6 Ass 2: Academic Integrity

This week's subject was academic integrity. I think that this is a subject that I have a lot of experience with, and most of the readings and preparations were actually fairly familiar ground for me. My entire college career has emphasized the importance of sourcing, averting plagiarism, and ethical use of information, and this week's topics were no different.

As someone who has been plagiarized by other students, I often consider how information is being used in my various papers and reports. Thankfully, we have so many tools available in order to ensure that credit is given properly and appropriately. Informing readers and peers has a lot of rules and conventions, but they are meant to help things be clearer and consistent, rather than more complicated.

Even in this age of free information and anonymous accomplishments, I think it is important to give credit where it's due. As this week's lecture pointed out, even with something like a Creative Commons license, credit is still an important part of academic protocol, and for good reason.

2 comments:

  1. I feel the exact same way and many classmates that I have had in the past have tried plagiarizing my work. It is my property and I can see why many become so angry with plagiarism. Accidental plagiarism I am fine with, but it is a fine line though and students must have truly done the plagiarism by accident, like forgetting one citation and things such as that. Have you had any experience with that type of plagiarism before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to add my name to my comment, the top comment is mine. Trevor Betts

    ReplyDelete